Redesign the sidebar/navigation to simplify the UI
EDIT: original issue was edited in light of the discussion (esp. discussion at https://governance.funkwhale.audio/d/m9LlGf4T/redesign-of-the-sidebar-navigation).
What is the problem you are facing?
I don't think the sidebar is really needed. All the items in it could be placed somwhere else, and I think that would make the UI clearer. Here's a mockup I made:
Here's where all the items in the sidebar would go:
- "Logged in as", "Add content", "Settings" and "Log out" would be moved to a small user panel at the right end of the top bar. That pane would also include the source selector (my libraries / local libraries / etc) discussed in #591 (closed).
- "Notifications" would be moved to an indicator right next to the user icon.
- "Browse library" would disappear, since it already appears twice on the top bar.
- "Favorites could disappear if we make favorite items appear at the top of the screen, as shown in #591 (closed) and here:
- "Playlists" would be moved to the top bar, possibly next to "Radios".
- "Activity" could also disappear, since the main screen would already be showing the recent activity (see #593 (closed)).
What are the possible drawbacks or issues with the requested changes?
I really think this layout would be simpler and easier to figure out, but some users could be confused by the change. Also, we would have to think of a new placement for the player and the queue.