Domains/actor blocking and instance-level moderation tools
As shown in the gif below, domain and account admin area now support setting moderation rules (internally called instance policies) to partially or completely block a domain or account.
- Full blocking a domain will purge the database from libraries, uploads, messages, follows, etc. for all the accounts of this domain
- Full blocking an account will have the same effect but on the account data only
- Admins can also purge multiple accounts / domains by hand in the admin without blocking those
- Instance policies are applied when receiving messages from other instances, but also when fetching data. For instance, if baddomain.com is blocked, local users who try to follow a library from this domain will see an error message
- Policies support different settings (this was heavily inspired by what's available in Mastodon, and the suggested improvements suggested here by @ThibG):
- Block everything: no data will be received from or send toward the targeted domain/account
- Reject media: no user avatars, attachments, audio files or metadata (artists, albums, tracks…) will be downloaded. Existing entries will be removed.
- Silence activity: domain/account activity (favorites, etc.) will be hidden in public areas, except from followers
- Silence notifications: local users will never receive notifications from the account/domain unless they're following the sender
- Those two last options refer to future Funkwhale developments and as such are currently hidden in the UI to avoid confusion
- Policies can have an optionnal summary describing why the policy is in place. This is only shown in admin in this version, but we could imagine having an opt-in setting to display this data to local users or publicly
- Each policy can be temporarily disabled/enabled on the fly