Design proposal: consistent set of cards
Funkwhale is about to have a brand new sidebar (#594 (closed)) on the one hand, and to support new kind of contents (#170) on the other hand. This requires some work on the visual side that could also benefit to existing content.
There are some issues while browsing the different kind of items (playlists, album, artist…):
- items sometimes are hard to parse (playlist items holds many numerals, "⋅⋅⋅" icon are visually disconnected from the rest of the artists card, play icons hide most of the album covers…)
- clicking/tapping on an item picture does nothing
- some icons do not bring much value or are misleading (see headphones on artist cards, music note on playlist cards, or "share" arrow in menus for reporting)
- some menus are overloaded (tracks offer no less than 4 menu entries for reporting content)
- items do not feel like they belong to the same app (a range of stuff from flat lists to rounded cards with shadows)
- podcasts do not have their own cards yet :)
We are aiming to:
- make the ui feel more cohesive
- allow for easy distinction/recognization of different kind of items
- establish clear, reusable patterns
- give the right information in the right place
Let's keep focus on cards first. There are other things to improve but they are out of our scope.
What we currently have for album cards felt like a solid base to build upon. I bring some improvements to it and made declinations of it:
Comments are always welcome!