Covers in queue are not preprocessed
What is the problem you are facing?
Tracks with heavy covers (>1MP, low compression, no pjpeg) makes the cover slow to load, consumes a lot of bandwidth, cpu cycles and are rendered poorly during loading times (rendered from top to bottom).
What I suggest:
- use processed covers like for the thumbnails
- use a compression level between 80 and 90 (85 usually is the standard), it usually has a good quality/size ratio also in some corner cases of the DCT
- set a reasonable upper limit in pixel size on both axis (e.g. 800x800px)
- use progressive jpeg: random article, random demo
What are the possible drawbacks or issues with the requested changes?
- No drawbacks for the user.
- For the dev I don't know, I don't have looked at the code. I guess adding another set of processed covers can add a little more complexity; can be used part of the code used to generate the thumbnails or can be generalized enough to do both (?).
- The additional disk space disk space required in proportion to the size of the tracks and albums is negligible (30-100KB max per cover?)
- Covers displayed in queue
- From this commit 2825183f